Friday 1 October 2010

MY TONGUE GOES BACK

I suppose it is like sucking your thumb, but instead of getting any digits involved my tongue just slides back and pushes on the roof of my mouth.

This is a pretty strange personal admission, that probably shouldn't be shared. But hey. The thing is, this next set of photographs are not only inspired by this strange bodily function (!!), I took them purely to express it.

You see, the tongue thing is an unconscious expression of contentment. It is involuntary and occasionally embarrassing. It happens several times a day and is triggered by softness, tiredness, joy, taking photographs, painting, music and being lost in a daydream or being engrossed in concentration.

So I set myself a small project last week to intimately illustrate some of the things and feelings involved.

Shot on my Hasselblad 500CM with a digital back attached (got it out of the cupboard to practice for a trip to Fez later on this month). Also shot with an extension tube on my 80 lens. Hand held and uncropped.

Here they are...









2 comments: